May 8, 2003
PORTLAND, OR – For 50 years a non-descript concrete wall shrouded the original beauty of the circa 1884 Cully Building on Southeast Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard and Oak Street. In the spring of 2002, long time eastside resident, Brian Faherty, purchased the building from Portland staple Miller Paint Co. and began an extensive storefront restoration to house his start-up residential/commercial period lighting company – Schoolhouse Electric Co.
After years of research, Brian’s desire to start a period lighting company became a reality following the purchase of an extensive collection of cast iron moulds used in the crafting of “schoolhouse” and other uniquely designed glass shades that have been out of production for 50 – 75 years.
Between 1900 and 1950, these shades were widely used in private residences and institutional settings including schools, galleries, and libraries. Originally produced in hundreds of design and sizes, they were a popular choice of designers, architects and homeowners alike. But by the 1960’s only a handful of original shade designs remained in production.
From the original moulds Brian “rediscovered”, Schoolhouse Electric Co. has brought back these forgotten classics and commissioned American glass artisans to manufacturer them once again in a full assortment of styles, sizes and colors. To compliment the shades, solid brass fixtures have been designed and handcrafted to reflect the historical accuracy of the original styles.
With a growing resurgence in historically appropriate restoration of residential and commercial structures in the Portland area and a growing consumer base that constantly wants something new and authentic, the time has come for these classics to be reborn.
On May 15th the restored storefront of Schoolhouse Electric Co. opened and returned to Portland a by gone era of timeless classic design – both the structure and the distinct fixtures it holds within.
Schoolhouse Electric Company is a manufacturer of period lighting fixtures and glass shades who produce hand-crafted, American-made, solid brass lighting fixtures in multiple finishes and exclusively offer over 100 glass and hand painted shades that have been out of production and unavailable for over fifty years. For further project information, please contact Michelle Steinback at (503) 230-7113 ext. 101.